Monday, October 2, 2017

Redemption: on a long enough timeline ...




Oldwood's picture

Vote up!
1
Vote down!
0



Oldwood NoDebt . Oct 2, 2017 9:48 PM


We all live in relative peace until it is perceived we are a challenge or threat. The very nature of power is in response to perceived threat. I do not understand why people refuse to accept that life is WAR on one level or another. That is not to say we must be hostile or violent, just that we can't be surprised that we are contested at virtually everything. People looking for safety are simply in denial.

reply

BingoBoggins's picture




Vote up!
0
Vote down!
0



new BingoBoggins Oldwood . Oct 2, 2017 11:03 PM


Reminded me of what my father once said to me when I was a still a boy. "Never knock a man down so far he can't get up without resenting it".

Paraphrasing. Yeah. Figuratively, as in a good chewing out, a reality check, what have you. In other words, don't crush his dignity. "Resentment" is my own interpretation. Sad I should think in those terms. Someone pointed that out to me - it wasn't that long ago.

I suppose that's a building block of character, whether or not you're a knucklehead that needs straightening out, or some returned to the fold, Squad 10, dry drunk, River City Alano lyin' to beat the band sum bitch on a Friday night? Shouldn't there be restraint, even if he is lying? Or even still, a semblance of dignity? What's the alternative then?

That was the real question - though he never quite put it into words that way. No explanation. He just asked if I knew. I s'pose I nodded my head ...

As far as I recall, he made no mention of any person's redeemable qualities, either. Deliberately. "Just don't do it". Like some ultimatum, or a promise, or, could it have been ... one's own redemption he alluded to, perhaps?

Now, if it were a street fight ... No. It isn't. It's affording someone the ability to get up again, count their bruises, shake off those jitters, undisturbed, cognizant - and go out and try again.


solemn now,
my vow to the scarecrow
to change the world



;;;;





2 comments:

bandit said...


edit: run through, final passage, on this date and time.

bandit said...


not so fast ...